A Smoking and Recreation Room for Sanatorium Patients
The first smoking pavilion was built around 1912. A wooden open fronted structure with a terrace was built on Garland lawn for the patients fit and able to walk in the grounds.
The dangers of smoking were not known at this time, therefore patients suffering from Tuberculosis were allowed to smoke, even in their room if confined to bed.
During the 1920s, the building was renovated and the terrace covered to provide a more general recreation room. A library and newspapers were available and patients used this as somewhere quiet to write letters home.
A Letter Home
A postcard was donated to the Hospital Museum in 2004 and shows the Recreation Room being used by Sanatorium patients in the 1920s. The author of the letter home contracted TB following active service as a Royal Engineer. The patient recovered from his illness and lived until 1946.