Building Strong Foundations
The opening of Garland Wing to its first patients in March 1907, was the first step in the hospital’s 110 year history. Built by The National Association, the Sanatorium had 196 beds, 25 of which were reserved for Post Office Sanatorium Society members, while the rest were used by members of other societies and associations.
The building and services developed over time to care for many patients until it was completely refurbished in 1961.
Garland Wing was modernised at a cost £100,000 in 1961. The work created balconies for patients to take the fresh air and improved bathroom facilities to the north side of the building. The Official Re-Opening Ceremony took place on 18 May 1961.
The new development provided modern facilities for patients and staff.
They Gave Their Names to Wards
A separate ceremony was held in November 1961 to unveil the names of the new modernised wards. The new wards were named after several important supporters of the Society for many years:
R Baker MBE
- Committee of Management 1935-1943
- Council of National Sanatorium 1937-1951
- Trustee 1943-1961
A F Fountain OBE
- Committee of Management 1939-1945
- Secretary 1951-1963
- Council of National Sanatorium 1947-1949
- Hon Treasurer of National Sanatorium 1949-1951
C T H Plant CBE
- Committee of Management 1945-1975
- Chairman 1951-1955 1957-1975
- Council of National Sanatorium 1949-1951
At the same ceremony, the ground floor ward of Lister Wing was named after Mr William O’Shea.