A new building was to be erected to provide supporting services at the hospital. During the early 1950s, the machines moved in to lay the foundations for a building that would first accommodate our pathology services and eventually include health records.
The First Pathology Department
A ceremony took place in 1955 to open our first Pathology Department. Miss M Jackson, Society Chairman gave the address and Miss Hamilton-Heink, Matron, escorted visitors on a tour of the hospital.
Pathology services remained on site until late 2003 when the department closed. The area is now home to the Ophthalmic Unit.
The building was later extended upwards to provide our health records department and offices.